Monday, October 01, 2007

Rough Day

Well, today was 'interesting' to say the least. It started out slow and 'normal' and escalated very quickly from there.

My husband is within viewing distance of the final line of entering the Army. He brought home a rather long list of paper work that we need to submit before setting the final sign-up date. We have about half of it and need to fork out a good amount of $$ for the rest of it. Oh, joy. *sigh*

Then, because he is so close to entering the Army, I thought I should at least attempt to finish up the quilt I started for him 2 years ago. I've had the top done for some time. I just detest basting and actually don't really like the quilting process. I've been thinking that a home quilting system might help me in that department, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I basted it (2 hours) and then attempted to quilt it. ARGH!!! I decided that I'd like the directional stitch card for my sewing machine. With my luck, it wouldn't work on quilts because they can be so heavy. His certainly is. I haven't measured it in awhile, but I can tell you it was not fun to work with today. To make matters "better," I was fuzzy-headed when I started and kept making mistakes. Note to self: Don't quilt when you're not thinking straight. I'm tempted to try free motion on it. Considering I'm just doing stitch-in-the-ditch, that is a little odd. However, I have heard that when you need to change direction often, free motion is the best answer. Think my DH would mind if I attempted it on his quilt? *grin*

THEN, while I was looking at it, my son ran into the house and said, "Mom, it was an accident." That's never good... Apparently, while he was playing with his friends, they hit the dumb water pipe that sticks out of the ground in front of our 'home.' They managed to split part of it and it was leaking. What was even dumber was that I attempted to get it to stop leaking (I just thought it was loose) and ended up breaking it off completely. Right then! Emergency call to the HOA and an hour and a half later, the sprinkler/landscaping guy finally shows up. They had taken off the "knobs" off this particular pipe ages ago because people kept turning the water off and killing the grass. I know it was a long time ago because we've lived here for 6 years and have never seen any knobs on it. So, he grabs a wrench out of his truck and turned 2 things and the water turned off. Took him maybe a minute. He'd grabbed the wrong wrench first and had to go back to his truck for the right one. This is after it had power washed my neighbor's car and flooded our lawn. At least we got to find out that our new drainage system worked pretty well. LOL However, my neighbor was upset that they couldn't even get into the car to at least turn it around to wash the other side. LOL

Please tell me that this day is over!! I'm really ready for it to be. I was going to sit and finish up a little art quilt I layered to quilt last night, but this has been such an 'interesting' day that I'm not sure I should. It's just one of those days where you want to sit and hold still and hope that it will end without anything else happening.

DH and I have plans to sit and watch a movie after the kids are in bed. Maybe I'll just sit there quietly and knit. At least I don't care if I mess that up. LOL

No comments: