Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm a Topper!

Well, I have decided that I'm just a 'lowly' topper. That just means I like to make tops. Maybe if I mastered the Quilt-As-You-Go techniques I'd do better. However, I do so like seeing the top finished before I quilt it so that I know how to quilt it. What makes that more 'important' these days is the fact that I've started designing my own stuff. It also makes it even more important to quilt it myself since it is mine. I don't know. I'm just all over the place today. *grin*

At least my little art quilt is almost finished. I'm not sure what I think of it though. LOL I decided not to fully bind it so some might find that odd. When I went to flip the binding over to the back to finish it up like 'normal,' I noticed that it looked pretty cool just up. You know, if you're a quilter, you understand. You go to start binding so you start flipping the binding over and it tends to just stick up until you can sew it down. So I flipped this little critter over and zig-zagged the edges to finish them. That looked pretty nifty. LOL I'm going to tack the corners down and call it good. I think the reason why I liked it that way is that I used a striped black and white fabric for the binding. It sort of frames it when it's standing up. Though I am wondering if I need to do any extra sewing to keep it that way. Until I get those corners tacked the way I want them, it will fold down again if you want it to. Though I did press it so that it would give a crisp edge on the front. I don't know. The 'jury' is still out on this one. I'll ask my husband what he thinks of it when he comes home. Then again, it is an "art" quilt, so whatever I want to do with it is fine. *grin*

With the thought of being a topper foremost in my mind, I'm thinking of putting in a section called "Finish it yourself" in my Etsy store. *grin* Or maybe I'll call it, "You finish it." I kind of like the last one better. Sort of sassy and almost rude though... That might be pushing it. However, I have several tops I don't see myself quilting any time soon. I'm finding that quilting is driving me NUTS! I do enjoy hand quilting though. Isn't that odd? It's just machine quilting that bothers me. Maybe I just need to invest in a nice hand frame/hoop (probably a hoop as I like the idea of 360 degree swivel capabilities) and just slowly work my way through my tops. They'd get finished faster than they are now! They're just in my "Tops Box" waiting for something to happen. Hmm... That's another thought.

Well, I guess I'm going to go tack down those corners so I can mark it as finished and move on. I think I'll work on my potholders next. Craft fair coming up and all. *smile* I'll probably put one in my Etsy store, give one to a friend as a 'thank you,' and send the rest to my mom for the craft fair. That sounds about right.

No comments: