Friday, October 19, 2007

Be careful...

I just learned today to be very careful when you're in a bad mood and making your kids clean up. A little background:

My kids have this large set of K'Nex stuff. Mind you, they build neat stuff with it and all that. However, they leave it scattered all over the house! Their favorite thing to scatter? Blue round pieces connected together in such a way as to be very painful if you step on them. Mind you, I have yet to step on them, but I have no doubt that it would hurt. Would YOU like to step on a round ball of plastic spikes? I didn't think so. I think they scatter them as bombs or something like that. Anyway, it's annoying and I'm sick and tired of telling them to pick them up and keep them contained in their rooms.

The last straw: Finding several of those round blue spikey bombs scattered around the living room in walking paths, several collections of sticks (not built into anything) in the kitchen, sticks and connecting pieces up and down the hall along the floor boards... I'm sick of them. I told them 2 days ago that if they didn't keep them picked up that I was going to get rid of them. Right. Time to make good on that one.

I marched into their room and had my son open up the K'Nex box (we have a great storage box with a great lid to store them in, they just never DO!) and started tossing them in there. I even went so nuts as to start crawling around in their room (vowing to bring a trash bag in later for all the kids meal toys) to find all of them. While trying to explain to my son that those blue bomb things are dangerous and would hurt to step on them, to which he replied, "Oh, why would they hurt?" I saw one (or something similar) put together. I turned to hand it to him and tell him to step on it (LOL), and misjudged where I was. I cracked the side of my head right on the edge of their closet. Oh, my gosh! That HURT!!! I even said a bad word... Oops. I try not to do that in front of my kids. I think I went on to mumble stuff like, "I shouldn't even be in here doing this. I shouldn't have to keep telling you to pick up your stuff." Things like that... I also reminded my son, after dumping out the 2nd or 3rd box of JUNK to sort through for K'Nex pieces (I was serious about getting rid of ALL of them), that I had helped him sort out EVERYTHING into their proper spots and it took us 3 HOURS to do it! You can't tell now!! I was MAD... and in pain.

I have a lovely knot now where I smacked that wall. It hurts to touch that area (yeah, well, duh!). I'm now waiting to see if it's going to bruise. At least my hair will cover it. *sigh* I just took some ibuprofen for the headache I know that's coming along with it soon. I'm now going to go check and see how the final dumping of the BIG boxes of toys went and pull out the K'Nex box. I might just put it in the garage for now. However, I doubt very much that I will give it back to them. There's only so many times you can tell your kids to pick something up before you completely lose it. I see our lovely collection of K'Nex being given to ARC or another thrift store so that some other well-meaning and loving parent can buy it for their children. Then it can go torment someone else for a change!!! Aren't I evil? LOL

No comments: