Sunday, October 28, 2007

Don't know why...

You know. Sometimes mothers do really dumb things to please their children. My dumb thing that I will do periodically is make rolled-out sugar cookies. I hate doing them. They always seem like a good idea at the time until I go to roll out the dough. THEN I remember why I hate them. I never can seem to roll it out right. And then trying to get those shapes out of the dough is annoying too. I had this friend who made it look SO easy. I wish she was here to do it for my kids... LOL

I used a new recipe today. It didn't require refrigeration before you rolled it out. Unfortunately, the recipe didn't say that the dough was also incredibly crumbly and wouldn't stay together. After going insane, I dumped all the dough back in the tub and walked away for awhile. While sitting on the deck and fuming over it, I started wondering how I could do biscuits so well but not cookies. I figured that it's because cookies have more sugar in them, less cohesiveness right there, and then less moisture, especially this particular recipe. So I went in and added milk. *grin* I made it more mushy and more cohesive. I still had an interesting time rolling it out, mainly because you do roll out cookies thinner than biscuits. So I changed that too. I figure that if I'm allowed to change any rule I want when I'm quilting, then why can't I change a baking 'rule'? So I rolled the dough out until it started pitching a fit on me and not wanting to go any thinner. You know what? Those cookies turned out better. *grin* Still, I don't see any rolled sugar cookies anytime until at least Christmas at the earliest. LOL

Now I get to sit around and watch the Rockies get their behinds kicked again by the Red Sox. You know, that's sort of embarrassing. I think I'd rather go stick my head in the sand and pretend I don't care if the Red Sox are sweeping us. *sigh*

I'm supposed to be finishing up a slew of things to mail off tomorrow. I need to sew in the pages to several needle books, finish closing up some pot holders, and I want to make 2 more little angels. I currently have 6 finished. I have them out on my WebShots if you want to see them. I guess that's enough work to keep me amused for the evening. I really don't want to do it though. Aren't I silly? They're off to a craft fair which means $$. Yup. I'm really silly. I'd just rather knit. My brain has gone on vacation and didn't bother asking the rest of me to go along. Guess I'll go see if I can find it and get to work. Later!

No comments: