Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More on the quilt restoration...

Okay, a little more background on this quilt. It umm... belongs to my parents. LOL I talked to my mom yesterday about the work I'm doing on it and to get permission to do a few things, such as those patches that are falling apart. Turns out that my step-father just likes to curl up under it for naps and the like when the weather gets cooler. So that changes a few things.

First of all, when I cut the binding to put it on there awhile back, I messed it up. That was weird because I haven't messed up a binding in a LONG time. I normally don't do 1/2" bindings on the front and so my math went haywire. Makes me feel really dumb as I was a math major in college. LOL I just finished taking all of that off, I was almost all the way done sewing it to the front when I realized what I had done, and that's when I found that patch that needed replaced. So I paused to remove that patch.

In talking to my mother about it, we arranged for something else to happen to this quilt. My step-father wants it back before the weather gets too cool in Arizona. Can you believe they think it gets cold there?! LOL I personally think it's attack of the A/C. Anyway! *grin* That gives me about a month to finish it up and get it there. That's cool as my mom takes her and my stuff to a local craft fair to sell it at about that time. So I can send the quilt back at the same time I send what few things I've managed to get done for her to sell. Umm... There is a point here. Let me find it.

Okay. The other patches that are worn out... That's where I was going. LOL My mom and I think that Gary would get a kick out of my just putting little applique doodads where it's wearing away. This has always just been a utility quilt and it wasn't that important to preserve the vintage look/fabrics. Since it's not going anywhere more important than the couch for naps, that should work. Actually makes it easier on me too. I couldn't believe how much time is spent in taking those patches out and putting in new ones. Then there's quilting it back in. Goodness!

Another plan deals with my binding snafu. I'm going to trim the edge down just a bit to give myself a clean edge to work with. That should be interesting as this is a queen-sized quilt. LOL Then I'll just put the binding on with a 1/4" seam on the front like I'm used to and the fact that I cut the binding too small before will be just fine. *grin* I think I was short a strip too so this will either negate that shortfall or I'll still have to add another strip. Either way, it's no big deal. I don't have enough of the binding fabric to recut it all the way so I like this idea and my mother has approved it.

With that, I think it's time to face my kids and see what's on the schedule for today. It's going to be a busy day as we have Awanas tonight. That always seems to really make the day fall short and get in a rush later. Oh, well. My boys really enjoy it. *smile*

No comments: