Monday, June 18, 2007

Quilt Restoration Disclaimer

Well, nothing major has happened for now. I just wanted to ramble on for a moment. I did a lot of research last night and discovered that most quilts that are restored aren't technically 'used' again. The one that I'm working on is a different story. I also think that it can be used again to a certain extent. I will warn the owners that the patches will continue to fall apart over time. If you think about it, so do we! LOL So does any new quilt we make with brand new fabrics. *grin*

For anyone who's 'freaking' out on my removing patches in this quilt, please keep in mind that this particular quilt was "repaired" before and had many patches removed. As I commented before, the person who did it had no idea how to repair quilts. This quilt is my learning quilt. I've certainly learned a lot since I started. Anyway, to date, the only patches I have removed are ones that were replaced before. I see no harm in removing them and replacing them with newer patches. This will actually restore the 'harmonic beauty' of the quilt. LOL In my opinion, these patches always did stand out and drove me nuts.

I am up in the air on removing and replacing some of the other patches that are pulling apart. Some of them ARE original fabrics. To get this quilt fully useable again, they should be removed. However, there are many out in the quilt restoration/conservation world that would argue with me a lot over removing the original fabric. If you think about it, this particular quilt has already had a lot of patches removed. I am now not certain which ones really do belong and which ones are newer. I think I will save these questions for future quilts where beauty and design preservation are more important.

For now, I think I will continue to remove the fabrics, even if they are the original ones. I actually have 3 more quilts made by the same person waiting to be worked on after this one. In removing the fabric from THIS quilt and replacing it with new so it will be sturdier for use, I will gain authentic vintage fabric to be used to help lovingly restore the other 3 quilts. Those quilts are more for display on beds and company use than for every day living.

There! I just resolved my dilemma. Speaking of which, I did get the new patches ready last night to be inserted into the utility quilt. I have high hopes of doing that today.

No comments: