Saturday, June 16, 2007

Quilt Restoration

Utility quilt 1 Utility quilt 2



Well, it has begun! I have started to restore the utility quilt. It's been fun and frustrating all at the same time. I did a very simple seam repair first. The maker of the quilt would occasionally sew together 2 pieces of fabric to get a patch the right size. On one of those seams, it had split apart. Easy enough to fix with a hidden applique stitch. (click on any of the photos to be taken to Webshots for a larger picture)

Large Floral Before Large Floral After


A lot of my work will be with some ugly tan squares. This particular quilt has been 'repaired' by someone in the past. Unfortunately, she was a great seamstress and had NO clue about how to repair a quilt. She put in a bunch of this ugly tan fabric that is of a loose weave and I found out that she didn't use large enough seam allowances. *sigh* So, I have a lot of seams to whipstitch. The owners of the quilt just wanted it useable again and it's what they requested. Boy do I hate doing this! It's ugly! Oh, well. You have to do what the customer wants!

Large Tan 1 Before Large Tan 1 Fixed Small Tan Before


LOL Well, those particular pictures look funny lined up like that. I have misplaced the 'after' picture of that last seam fix. I need to refind that particular section of the quilt and take another picture. Please don't mind the color changes in the pictures too much. My camera was damaged recently and it's being silly. I have no clue what I'm taking a picture of as the LCD screen no longer works. I have a new one on the way, but it will be a little longer before it gets here. Now, on with the show!

My next fix is a pretty major one. It's the first set of blocks that I'm actually removing from the quilt to replace them with new fabric. I carefully removed the quilting stitches first and then found an edge where I could slip my seam ripper to remove the actual stitching. How 'lucky' for me that one of them was that nasty tan fabric that was pulling away anyway. This is how I learned that there were hardly any seam allowances to hold it in place. I also learned that the batting in this quilt is 100% cotton and still contains cotton seeds! I thought that was really neat.

Red and Tan squares before Red and Tan squares removed

I am currently in the process of preparing the new fabric to be inserted here. When it's in place, I will then hand quilt the pattern back in. Thank goodness it's a simple pattern! *smile*
So, stayed tune for the continuation of the 'Quilt Restoration." LOL

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't even tell that you appliqued that one seam! I've looked and still couldn't find it!

Erin said...

Thanks, Andrea! I wish I could do that to more of the problems in this quilt. I'm hoping to completely disguise the new patches as well. I purposely purchased paler repro print fabric to 'hide' it in with the older. We'll see! I'll get to that either tonight or tomorrow.