Monday, June 11, 2007

Quilt Restoration

Well, I've been asked by a good friend to take a look at a vintage quilt she had and to see if I could fix it. What makes this the ideal quilt to work on is the fact that it's always been the "utility quilt." It has gone everywhere and done everything! She only wants it useable again, nothing more. I have decided to completely log everything I do in the hopes that I can do this for more people. Actually, I already have another quilt in the wings waiting to see how I do on this one. Okay, actually I have 4! LOL My 'good friend' has 3 more quilts that need more repairs but are considered "good quilts." The work on those would need to be better than on this one. I'm still going to do my absolute best on this one. The other quilt is from someone else. I've already seen it. It is an honest to goodness antique quilt. It looks easy enough to repair, but I want to make sure I can do it well enough first before tackling it.

Even though this is just a utility quilt and it's just to be made useable agan, I'm still going to work on it to get it to look the best I can. No need to ruin it with contemporary fabrics, especially with all the reproductions available. Many of them are way too bright for this quilt as it's quite faded. However, I came across 3 fabrics that will blend in well. I also have to completely replace the binding. That's the easy part. *smile* This quilt was previous repaired and it was terrible! I was told not to worry about those and just fix the "new" problems. I'll try not to let the other repairs bother me too much.

Before too long, I will begin with pictures of the quilt itself and the fabrics I have chosen for the repairs. Then I will go closer up with before and after pictures of the repairs. Remember, many of these repairs are just to make it useable again. I will not be replacing any of the previously 'fix' fabrics. They need a lot of work as they are fraying from the seams. That is where most of my repairs will be unfortunately. I am planning on doing a lot of whipstitching to close them up and make those seams sturdier. There are several vintage fabrics that I will be removing and replacing. So, stay tuned!!

No comments: